Auditions for: Ruthless! The Musical; Wonder of the World and Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Auditions will take place on Sunday, June 2 and Monday, June 3, at 12189 Riverwood Drive, Burnsville, MN 55337, from 6 to 9 p.m. each night. Callbacks will be scheduled separately for each show.
Auditions are by appointment only. To register, e-mail Scott Gilbert, specifying your preferred day and any time restrictions, and you will be sent an audition time.
Actors may audition for one, two, or all three shows. All actors should prepare a contemporary monologue under two minutes long. If auditioning for Ruthless or Sweeney Todd, please also prepare 16 bars of a musical theatre song (from a show other than Ruthless or Sweeney Todd). Bring sheet music in the appropriate key with cuts clearly marked. An accompanist will be provided.
All roles are available. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to audition. All positions are unpaid.
All performances will take place at the Burnsville Performing Arts Center, 12600 Nicollet Ave, Burnsville, MN 55337.
Ruthless! The Musical
Book and Lyrics by Joal Paley
Music by Marvin Laird
Directed by Mishia Burns Edwards
Eight-year-old Tina Denmark knows she was "born to entertain," and she will stop at nothing to fulfill that destiny! No one can stand in Tina's way - not her mother, her agent, a theatre critic, or an investigative reporter, and most especially not her rival for the lead in the school play. The twists and turns never stop in this outrageous, uproarious, and hilarious musical.
Looking for Broadway-style voices from "torch singers" to "belters."
- Tina Denmark, an aspiring child star: Casting ages 10 and up or young adult actors who can play a child sincerely. The role includes tap dancing; a willingness to learn is as important as experience. Alto (belter).
- Judy Denmark/Ginger del Marco: Tina's mother (and secret Broadway prima donna). Age range: Late 20s-30s. Alto.
- Lita Encore: A drama critic. Age range: 40s-60s. Mezzo-soprano (belter).
- Myra Thorn/Reporter: Tina’s teacher/A reporter. Age range: 30s-50s. Alto.
- Sylvia St. Croix: A pushy talent agent. Age range: 40s-60s. Considering male and female actors for a female (not "drag") character. Mezzo-soprano or Tenor.
- Louise Lerman/Eve: Tina’s rival/Ginger's assistant. Age range: Late 20s-30s. Alto.
Rehearsal Schedule: Sunday-Thursday evenings starting August 12.
Performances: October 4 - 13, 2013
Wonder of the World
by David Lindsay-Abaire
Directed by Crystal G. Schneider
A shocking discovery compels Cass to abandon her marriage and her comfortable, predictable lifestyle, sending her on a surprise-filled odyssey in search of a new life and all the experiences she thinks have passed her by. On her way to a fresh start, she encounters one bizarre character after another in this fast-paced, desperately funny play by the author of Rabbit Hole and Fuddy Meers.
- Cass - a woman in her 30s, anxious to start a new life
- Kip - her husband, also in his 30s
- Lois - a little older than Cass, an alcoholic with a barrel
- Karla - a woman in her 60s, a dabbler
- Glen - her husband, in his 60s, a dabbler
- Captain Mike - 30s, captain of the Maid of the Mist
- Barbara, Pilot, 3 Waitress, Janie - all played by one actress
Rehearsal Schedule: Wednesdays through Sundays starting September 18
Performances: November 1 - 17, 2013
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Music and Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim
Book by Hugh Wheeler
From an adaptation by Christopher Bond
Directed by Garrick Dietze
The ultimate example of our infatuation with the macabre, sensational, and abhorrent, the tale of Sweeney Todd has been sending a delicious shiver down people's spines for over 150 years. A timeless fable of injustice and revenge, its themes still ring as true today as they did in the slums of Victorian London. Now The Chameleon Theatre Circle presents an intimate, modern production of Stephen Sondheim and Hugh Wheeler's award-winning musical. Outrageous characters, bottomless depravity, and unforgettable music abound in this chilling, mesmerizing, darkly humorous show.
- Sweeney Todd - A wrongfully imprisoned barber seeking to right the wrongs committed against him. He is Johanna's father, singularly focussed on taking bloody revenge. Our story's tormented protagonist. Male, 40-55 years old. Range: F2 - Gb4.
- Mrs. Lovett - An entrepreneurial and amoral meat pie shop owner. She falls in love with Todd and turns his desire for revenge into a profitable business venture. Female, 35-50 years old. Range: G3 - E5.
- Anthony - A naive and youthful sailor returning to London. He helps Todd return to London and unexpectedly falls in love with Johanna. Male, 20-30 years old. Range: Bb2 - F4.
- Johanna - A sprightly girl, full of innocence, constantly yearning for freedom. Todd's long-lost daughter and Judge Turpin's ward. Female, 18-21 years old. Range: Bb3 - A5.
- Judge Turpin - A lecherous public official who portrays himself as a sanctimonious authoritarian. He takes advantage of his position in the city and is responsible for imprisoning Todd. Male, 50-65 years old. Range: E2 - Gb4.
- Beadle - A pompous public official. He is deeply loyal to the corrupt Turpin. Male, 40-55 years old. Range: D3 - D5.
- Pirelli - A flamboyant Italian rival barber; a charlatan with a secret past. 30-45 years old. Range: B2 - C5.
- Tobias - A poor youngster apprenticed to Pirelli. Tobias finds a surrogate family in Todd and Lovett. 12-18 years old. Range: Bb2 - Ab4.
- Beggar Woman - A deranged and schizophrenic woman who harbors a dark, surprising secret. Female, 35-50 years old. Range: Ab3 - F5.
- Chorus - Seeking five to six additional members to play the rest of the roles.
Rehearsal Schedule: Weeknights starting in early October
Performances: December 7 - 22, 2013
Questions? E-mail Andrew Troth.